Wednesday, 19 February 2014

"Not Neurological In Nature"

Today was the rescheduled neurologists' appointment. This guy's reviews were dead on. I had only just started to explain myself when that became clear. While apologizing for rattling things off quickly I called my situation complicated. In a very flat tone he said "I don't see it that way." Knowing he had a reputation for poor bedside manner made that comment easy to move past but it was still hurtful. The rest of the appointment was pleasant. He did a physical test and a neurological workup. Neurological issues were ruled out. I knew that there was little to no chance  He talked about possible problems with bones and muscles in that area instead, said they'd show on MRI if present. Asked him if he'd had any patients with my core symptom set and was thrilled to hear he had ("2 or 3 over my career, none were neurological in nature"). Felt a little jaded as I walked out though, and am still regretting not being able to complete the MRI last week.

Gotta remind myself constantly that this is all a process of ruling things out. It has to be the right direction, even if it looks and feels wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment